[at-l] 17 mile days (was something else)

Quite right Felix J.  I think someone else mentioned that it's not how fast
you hike as much as how long you hike each day.  Of course if you are using
shelters then it pays to start early and stop early so that you can claim a
spot.

James T.

rafeb@adelphia.net wrote:

> 17 miles per day, average, from Hanover to Gorham??
> In Shenandoah, no problem (from what I read.)
> Dunno bout you but I was 38 yrs old on my thru'
> attempt in '90.  If I were half that age, 17 mpd might
> not seem so outrageous.
>
> rafe b.

I turned 36 on the trail. (Wildcat Shelter...10/12) I averaged 14
miles a day and am pretty sure that if it weren't for girls, I would
have done it in closer to 16 to 18 mile days. (I had to slow down a
lot for Pokey. And, I didn't really have to take three days off in
Adkins.) I think hiking 17 mile days ain't that tough if that's what
you want to do. There really isn't a whole helluva lot to do other
than hike or sleep.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy