[at-l] Re: Cellphone connection availability (was) RE:[at-l] another tak...

At 09:53 PM 3/17/02 -0500, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:

>Now we have a situation where rescuers may be called if someone doesn't phone
>home in a day (or two) by arrangement.  What if you can't get a signal or you
>drop the phone and it breaks?  People are going to be looking for you,
>officials or not, risking injury to themselves.

Sly, for the life of me, I can't see the difference between this situation
and discovering the only payphone is gone or broken or your calling
card is lost and you have no change.  You have made it clear that
the people who care for you are accustomed to your absence and
have learned to deal with wonder and worry as to your location and
condition

I'm not trying to be overly personal here but you have a lifestyle
that minimizes ties,  You are single and children are not an issue.
Dave isn't.  Many of us aren't and we may carry the emotional weight
of that with us when we leave.  If the physical weight of a cellphone
lightens the emotional load, then  why is this such a big deal for you?

Our families appreciate daily contact.  It eases their minds.  It makes
our absence just slightly less of a burden for them.  If the technology
exists and we do not impinge on other people's illusion of wilderness,
what's the big deal?