[at-l] trip report - shenandoah

A hiking buddy and I went out this weekend for an overnight in
Shenandoah.  We took two cars so we could avoid a circuit hike.

Saturday we parked at Gravel Springs Hut parking lot and walked
north on the AT.  It was warm but damp.  We had a pretty good
day.  Water was very low, but I scooped out some leaves and
made enough of a depression in the spring on the way up to
Compton Peak that I could use a cup to get water.

We camped out near the summit of Compton. It was pretty cloudy,
but we hiked up to the peak trail anyway.  Not much in the
way of sunset views, but it was nice to watch the lights come on
in the valley.

My hike partner made tortelloni and pesto tomato sauce for dinner.
It really hit the spot in the cool damp afternoon.

It was pretty chilly and windy during the night.  I had neglected
to tie the foot end of my hammock high, so I spent the night
sliding downhill.  Lesson learned for next time.  :)

We went to bed pretty early, so I woke up before dawn.  I hung out
in the hammock, luxuriating in being able to feel all my extremities.
Usually when I sleep on the ground I lose the feeling in one or more
limbs.  Despite the cold feet last night, I slept sooo well.  But
eventually I got up and made some hot chocolate, and toasted my
bagel on the lid of my pot.

Eventually my hike partner also awoke.  Just about the time he sat
down for some breakfast, it started to rain and then to sleet.
We quickly packed up and hit the trail.  We followed the AT just to the
base of Compton Peak and then took the Dickey Ridge Trail toward
the park entrance.  The Dickey Ridge Trail is very nice, btw.  Good
views from what I could see through the fog, nice treadway, and
cool scrambling rocks.

We were running low on water, so we went down Hickerson Hollow Trail
to find a totally dried up pile of sand where there used to be a merry
little stream.  I'm wondering just what the animals in the park are
doing for water these days, and if this is why we haven't seen much
wildlife.

I still had some water left, but my hiking buddy didn't.  He refused any
of mine and walked the remaining miles with no water.  Foolhardy man.
But he seems to have done okay.

The weather deteriorated as we walked.  By the time we reached my car,
both of our packs had a good coating of ice, and my water was slushy.
My car had a good coating of ice, too.  Driving back to get his car
we encountered whiteout conditions, and leaving the park we noticed
that the incoming gate was closed.  Probably a good thing.  I'm glad
they didn't lock us in.  That's happened to me before.

Despite the ice, there was good walking to be had today.  The path
didn't get slippery, and the chill kept me from overheating.  It
was a good day in the woods.

We left through Front Royal and stopped at a restaurant which I would
highly recommend to others.  It's called The Village Idiot.  (Really!)
They had good, not too expensive food.  I had a cup of sesame tomato
soup  (mmm)  and Tom's Toraybe About Sandwich, which was ham, brie,
granny smith apples, and garlic mayo on lightly toasted bread.  It
was an asskicking sandwich.  The sandwich cost $6.95 and was totally
worth it.  :)  The soup was tasty, too.

-amy