[at-l] Re: Cellphone connection availability (was) RE: [at-l] another tak...

In a message dated 03/17/02 11:37:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Slyatpct@aol.com writes:

> What if for some reason your phone didn't work, would your wife needlessly
> call for a search?
>
> In cases like this, I feel the phone owner should pay the heaviest of
> fines.
>
> Sly

Sly -

I have no idea why you have such an issue with non-intrusive use of
cellphones (I assure you if I hadn't made it public to this list nobody I
hike with would ever know I carry one) and don't care to redebate the point
with you or others.  I'd prefer we keep the dialogue on a civil level out of
respect for others on the list (sniping responses like this do not serve
anyone).  If you have a cheap shot for me in future, please send it off-list.

The plan we always have is:

If I do not check in on two consecutive days, per our agreement, my wife
calls my local designate (this last trip it was Dutch Treat and Hummingbird)
and has them try to find me or learn if anybody has seen me and when and
where.  That is always our plan before any authority is to be contacted.

I always try and have a plan thought out to avoid a search and which still
allows my family to be assured of my well-being, because we like it that way.

BTW, if anybody else would care to comment, if you didn't make weekly or
monthly or whatever your plan was pay phone contact with your family/loved
ones, where and/or how would they start looking for you?  Seems to me that
anyone who needlessly prompts a wide search area ought to pay a hefty fine
YMMV.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html