[at-l] Backpacking Boots??

Phil, First the filter. I used a Pur. It worked fine but be prepaired to
replace the cartridge about every 500 mi or so. The good thing is that
if you call Pur at 1-800-845-7873 and tell them you are a thru-hiker and
not satisfyied with the filtter life they will send you new filter
eliments free. As far as boots are conserned let me tell you my
observations made during my hike. Most physical problems, hikers had
,were foot related so your boots are very important. I used a pair of
Montrail AT Hikers. They are on the heavy end of the scale but they
lasted the whole trip and about 200 miles before. I had them resoled
once so I never had to deal with the problem of breaking in new boots on
the trail. Some folks I met brought two pair of boots and broke them in
befor they started. When they sent for the second pair they found that
they didn't fit anymore because their foot changed during the hike. Good
soles are inportant for traction on wet rocks. Some soles are better
than others. A good all leather boot is quite water-proof but when it
eventualy gets wet inside it takes quite a while to dry. Light weight,
trail shoes, are used by a lot of hikers, especialy the ultra lites.
With a heavy pack 35lbs +, you don't get the required foot support
useing this type of shoe. My pack avg. was about 42 lbs. What ever you
decide that choice is up to you. Just make sure they are well broken in.
I saw so many hikers suffering with blisters and other foot problems
because they started with boots not properly broken in. Once on the
trail you don't have a large selection to choose from if you have to
switch your hiking shoes. I would recommend that, if all possiable, have
some sort of back up home ready to be sent in case a switch is required.
I hope my info. helps. Good luck and Happy Trails. Grampie-N->2001