[at-l] Backpacking Boots??

The last sentence in James T.'s e-mail sparked a lot of conflicting
thoughts in me.  I also vaguely recalled a recent poster proudly
announcing that he/she would never buy from Wal-Mart because they run
good local businesses out.  I used to own and operate a small, outdoor
shop in Raleigh, NC.  We got to where we could spot 'em a mile away;
people who would come in, take [and I mean TAKE] an hour of your patient
time and expertise; try everything out - and then find a reason to not
buy that day when you all but 100% knew what they were gonna do next was
either head to the nearest big discount guys, or go the mailorder route
to "get a better price."  All is fair in capitalism, love and war, I
reckon - but to James T. and others, I would suggest a middle ground.
If you truly support smaller, local businesses - where you can get
friendly, good advice, and local warranty service and returns, then show
it!  Actions speak louder than words.  At least be honest.  Tell the
local store guy you think you can get it for "x" mailorder, or at REI,
and THEN [here is the key to prove or disprove one's stated "support" of
the local business] tell him you would like to pay him something for his
time, knowledge, service, etc. and see if you can meet in the middle, so
to speak.  Some stores will do that, some won't.  But if you are honest
and up front, then at least everyone will know where they stand, and the
local shop will have better info. on where and how they can - or cannot
- compete.  I am NOT saying offer to pay more locally for nothing, just
out of the goodness of your heart, for in the long run economically,
that is actually bad for the business world.  The last thing a market
needs is a bleeding heart inefficiency that rewards less than the best.
What I AM saying is that if the local store is giving you something of
VALUE [i.e., a chance to see equipment hands-on, coupled with good local
expertise and service], then you SHOULD be willing to pay more locally!

Play hard, play fair is my motto - practice it when you shop as well and
you will feel better, get good deals, and potentially help that local
store find a valid niche in the marketplace.  The Wal-Marts and REIs of
the world are NOT inherently bad - think of it this way - for the woman
trying to feed a family of five on $15,000/year, would you deny her the
ability to get her groceries, or basic household supplies cheaper at the
nearest Wal-Mart supercenter?  Certainly not!  Local businesses that
adapt, change - [or even that go under but whose owners re-emerge with
another local business that can compete] do not need charity, they just
need thoughtful shoppers who make upfront decisions about what they are,
and are not, "buying."  I use them all; I shop Wal-Mart, I shop REI, I
shot the local, I shop on the 'Net; and I patronize every higher priced
local store that offers me something in the way of service,
friendliness, and hands-on service! What we all need to remember is that
the Amazon.Coms, Dells, L.L. Beans and Lands Ends of the world have
proven
that they can offer some form of friendliness, knowledge and efficiency
even over great distances - so now the challenge is for local stores to
match them, not in price, but in service, efficiency, friendliness,
etc.  I've seen many a local store that acted much less interested in my
business than did an animated salesperson at a mailorder place - even a
small mailorder place, like the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry owners who
treated me like family over the phone on a small order, and then even
remembered my name when I hike into their store four months later!  Now
that's service to come back for!

Hike [and shop] on!

thru-thinker