[at-l] Fw: Record time hiking the appalachian trail

I'm with Shane (and to some extent, with Weary) on this one.

I mean, anyone that even attempts a thru hike is pushing
his or her limits, it seems to me.  I don't quite grok what
speed has to do with it.

Sometimes it seems to me that we gringos have this
tendency to push everything to extremes.  Not that a five
month, 2160 mile walk isn't extreme enough, mind you.
I guess drawing the line at any particular limit is kinda arbitrary.

It jes' seems to me that speed, in and of itself is rather
at odds with what the whole AT "gestalt" -- certainly as it
was envisioned by Benton MacKaye, for what that's worth.

Real life in the US of A is full of the-need-for-speed.  When I
go to the woods, it's specifically to get away from all that.

rafe b.
aka terrapin