Re[2]: [at-l] Fw: Record time hiking the Appalachian trail

> Well maybe I used the wrong term.  How about the term exploring limits,
> cause that takes away the pass/fail aspects of a "test".  You must have
> done that
> at one time or you wouldn't know how high it was possible for you to
> jump.  I see
> the speed hikers as exploring the possibilities of the human
> body....their
> human body

I respect their desire and drive to do so, I just don't share it.  I'm not
trying to be an a$$, I just don't get it.  Let me try to explain myself a
different way...

I can understand wanting to sail around the world.  I don't understand
wanting to see how fast I can sail around the world.  Let's say I sailed
around the world in 180 days, and you sailed around the world in 100 days.
I went where I wanted to go and saw what I wanted to see.  In a perfect
world, I had no stress.  In a perfect world, you stressed yourself because
you were always fighting the clock.  "Just a few more miles today and then I
can rest..."

To try something less (or more) ridiculous...  I love to eat.  My favorite
desert is pineapple-upside down cake.  My granny makes it for me sometimes.
Sometimes I have two pieces.  If I cut someone else two pieces and they
suddenly stuffed both pieces in their mouth, chewed twice, swallowed, and
slammed down a glass of milk and declared, "I can eat cake faster than
anybody alive!", my next question would be, "Well, how did it taste?"  I
like cake, and I want to enjoy mine, thank you.  Exploring the limits of
human eating isn't something that I understand.

I suppose I could use a sex example... One stroke - DONE!; But this is a
family group...

I don't really explore my limits anymore either.  I certainly used to, but
I'm at a point in my life where I am over it, and I'm comfortable.  I don't
know if that's a good thing either, it's just a change of attitude.  I'm to
the point where I've proved everything I wanted to prove to myself, and now
I no longer 'let it all hang out' just to see how far over the edge I can
dangle.  I am at peace with myself, and at peace with the places I go;
Hiking isn't something I do for a challenge, it's something I do for
recreation and to broaden my horizons.  The most competitive thing I do
anymore is play chess.  I suppose I'm just slackpacking through life...

Papa Bear said, "There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that doing or
contemplating a thru-hike of the AT, or even doing it in sections is testing
one's self."  I'm sure that's true for some people, but I don't think that's
true for me.  The AT is the longest hardest trail some people will ever
hike, but I've already done longer and harder hikes than the AT.  My reason
for wanting to do it is because it will take me places I haven't seen
before.  I don't mean that to sound arrogant, because I'm sure the AT has
it's own set of challenges too, and I don't expect it to be a cake walk.

> I'm pretty firm on the idea that I shouldn't tell people what to do but
> I think I ought to warn you friend Shawn, as you age......you may begin
> to test yourself again.

(I'm Shane, Shawn is my younger brother...) I have no doubt that I will test
my limits again at some point, but I don't think that's going to be by speed
hiking, or speed eating, or speed sailing.  I don't want to go higher or
faster than I've ever gone before.  Further maybe.  The world is a big
place, and I haven't seen that much of it yet...

I don't mind the philosophical waxing at all.  Life is just a section hike.
Eventually we all come to the final trailhead.  In that sense, and in a very
real way, we should all hike our own hike every day.

Shane