[at-l] article on new hut system in Western Maine

> interested: “Our plans envision a series of huts

> As a guest for the night, you’d get a bed plus a
> hearty breakfast and dinner for around $45.

> “This plan is founded on the premise that
> environmental and resource
> protection is more acceptable in a community
> where an opportunity exists
> for Maine people to make a decent living.

At first glance I like the idea.  At second glance, I'd
never be able to afford it.  $45.00 a day is steep for a
hiker bum.

My second fear, which may be unfounded, is that if you want
to hike the trail system you could be forced to stay in the
huts.  It may not be like that at first, allowing tenting,
but then we get the catch that "an opportunity exists...to
make a decent living..."  Not to mention that all sorts of
strange things are done in the name of 'environmental and
resource protection'.  To me, it seems, hikers would
eventually be forced to stay in the huts - thus weeding out
the poorer among us.  This may be an unfounded suspicion,
but I have a suspicious nature.

Mind you that all of this is said in ignorance of all
parties involved and their plans, and my comment is only
based on what I have just read.  If I am way off base,
educate me.

This might work well for people who were otherwise going to
drive to Disney world, but it does not appeal to me as a
long distance hiker.

Shane