Cellphone connection availability (was) RE: [at-l] another take o n cell ...

Wiliam -

As most of the thrus who have posted on the subject seem to not be in the
cell phone camp, you may not get an answer from them, but hopefully somebody
did carry one and will respond.  I section and weekend hike so I've got the
following to offer in the way of recent experience through DWG.

As I posted in my trip report, there is no peak in Georgia that I cannot get
reception for my cell phone now due to new towers going up.  That's true from
Springer to Dicks Creek Gap.  Last year, I was able to get reception on the
peaks (never tried the gaps) from Standing Indian through Wayah.  Haven't
been in the Smokies yet, so I don't know that part yet.  On the way down to
Springer this year, I had to run through Erwin (logistical support).  The
phone works fine in that area as well.

The only dead spot for cells that had been along the I-81 corridor in
Virginia and on the corresponding peaks was just north of Roanoke.  I checked
that on the way down this year and the new towers have fixed that as well.  I
did Md this past October and the phone works there.  It has worked on either
end of Pa and the couple of pieces I've hiked in the middle.  So my recent
experience says that it should work, if you need it, through PA.  Maybe
somebody else knows the NE piece of this.

Hope that helps,

Black&blue

In a message dated 03/14/02 11:18:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nealb@midlandstech.com writes:

> What I am wondering is how good is the connections along the AT?  I'd really
> be interested in any knowledgeable opinions, but especially the opinions of
> recent thru-hikers.  I don't want to carry a phone at all, and I won't if
> CPs only work part of the time.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---