[at-l] trip report: Springer to Neels Gap

Hello all. I returned from a 4 day trip to find my pc had exploded. I
though I had unsubscribed but I obviously did something wrong. Somewhere
in the process of trying to read, sort and delete over 600 messages I
managed to destroy what was not exploded. So, if anyone tried to send me
a message and I have not replied, please forgive my not being a power pc
user. I'm not ignoring anyone on purpose.

Now about the hike. I left out Sunday (Mar 10) after two false starts. I
needed some cash and one ATM was DOA. When I got to the next nearest
machine, my card was DOA. I really don't like the new and improved
electronic world. Anyway, I finally got going and was excited at the
prospect of meeting Mike and helping with his project of relaying a
hiking stick from Springer to Katahdin and also seeing Sunrise and Sunset
again and hiking a ways with them.

On the way from my home to Amicalola I kept hearing something call my
name. It was almost like a Felix type encounter.........strange. I
stopped the truck several times to look underneath, in the back and on
top. Nothing. I'd get back in and start driving and sure enough I'd hear
it again, "Hopeful, Hopeful! We're down here." I stopped again and looked
all around the truck. "Ok, Felix," I says, "you got me real good. Where
are you?" Nothing. After this happened about 5 times I finally figured
out what was going on. Felix wasn't involved at all, which really
surprised me. The strange voices were coming from some fried chicken
Diana  (Mrs. Hopeful) had cooked the night before and had sent to Sunrise
and Sunset as a send off snack for their thru hike. It was in a
tupperware box right on the seat beside me. I figure the lid being on so
tight was causing the voices to sound funny. Well, there was no way I
could drive with all that distraction, so I ate all the chicken by my own
self. After 4 days of hiking together, Sunny still had not forgiven me.
Frank ain't said much to me either.

I got to the range station and register for a 4 day loop and got my
parking sticker. The lower parking area was full up so I drove to the
Lodge parking area and took a spot well towards the back so regular guest
could park near the entrance. There were lots of folks there. I guess I
didn't see Hummingbird and Dutchtreat's car so I never guessed that there
was a whole AT List group at the Lodge. I wished I had known they were
there so I could have visited before heading up the approach to the
Plaque. Actually, I was running a bit behind and was worried I'd miss
Mike. We'd agreed to meet at the Plaque at 1:30, more distraction. Well,
I got my back on and headed up the approach trail feeling very energetic
and hiking very strong. Eating lots an lots of chicken with do that for a
fella.

I was very pleased with my progress. I think carrying just 30.4 pounds
was the trick. I experimented on this hike with a G4. There are a few
things I wish I could modify about the pack but I guess I'll have to
modify my gear instead. Being one of the old dudes, I have stiff joints
and stubborn muscles each morning, typical of my age and weight. Maybe I
eat too much chicken. Anyway, I find that a full size thermarest is well
worth the extra bulk and ounces. However, the G4 is really not designed
for use with that rest mat so I have to find other items of gear to work
on so as to reduce both bulk and drop about 4 more pounds. The thermarest
adds about 2 pounds over what the recommend ridge rest type mat would and
will not fit in the pocket designed for the recommended pad. All in all,
the G4 shows real promise and I'll continue to work with it.

Where was I? Oh, I got to the Plaque about 15 minutes late and Mike was
waiting with the hiking stick. We talked a little and he got some picture
and then had to get back towards home. His project is to see if the
hiking stick can be relayed by many different hikers all the way to
Katahdin. It got to Neels Gap ok and Frank offered to carry it farther
north before handing it off to someone else.

While hanging out at the Plaque waiting for Sunrise and Sunset to arrive,
I talked with Glen, the Springer Shelter caretaker. He reports that over
200 hikers have started already. The register was complete filled and
folks were having to write in the margins. Another register was on its
way but had not yet arrived. As we talked, I meet some hikers I had known
before and some other maintainer. Also, I met Brooke and one of her
friends from NYC. Ya'll may remember that she is working on a photo
documentary of thru hikers, class of '02. I didn't know that Sunny and
Frank were part of Brooke's project. Glen was doing a great job of
encouraging and educating, helping to settle nerves and introduce newbees
to other hikers, helping to make them feel welcome in the new and
different social world of hikers. The GATC has done a great thing in
helping to have a regular caretaker at the shelter during this time of
the year.

Oh, while we were talking, I happen to notice a newbee. Clean, unworn
boots; all new gear.........LOTS of gear; and he was carrying a c***
p**** AND an u*******!!  So help me, he had both strapped to his pack,
his BIG pack. I turned away and I says to me, "Hopeful ol' son, don't
take the lid off this pot." I did not see that hiker again. I wish him
well.

As soon as Sunrise and Sunset arrived there were hugs and welcomes all
around and we told Glen goodbye and headed for Stover Creek to get down
lower and out of the wind. Sunday was a bright sunny day but it was cold
and very windy. We tented Sunday night at Stove. It was cold there too
but it had to had be much nicer than the top of the mountain. So, on
their first official day Sunny and Frank scored about 4 miles; FS road 42
to the Plaque and then back and down to Stover Ck.

Monday was a perfect hiking day; sunny, breezy and cool. We got to Hawk
Mt shelter by 1pm and took a good lunch break and refilled our water
bottles. Weathercarrot was there too! Because they were feeling good and
were very excited we decided to push on to Justice Ck. Rain was in the
forecast for Monday night/Tuesday morning so the plan was to see how
everyone felt once we got to Justice Ck and then decide if it was worth
going on to the new Gooch Mt shelter.

We arrived at Justice Ck right at dark. After getting water we talked
about the one mile or so to the new shelter. I worked on the relocation
so I knew it would be easy hiking because it actually skirts Gooch Mt on
a fairly flat contour. One pud removed! Sunny and Frank decided they'd
rather stay at the shelter as to tent in the rain, so we pushed on and
they had their first night hiking experience. I was really pleased for
them, they covered about 14 miles on their first full day of hiking and
were in good shape once we got to the shelter.

The shelter was full to over flowing as is to be expected this time of
year so we hung out Tuesday til folks had a chance to get packed and head
out. Sunny and Frank were still feeling good but understandably enjoyed
sleeping in a little bit. All Monday night I had nightmares of Felix
hiding fried chicken in my pack and I couldn't find it.

About 3am Tuesday the rain set in pretty good. There was some sleet at
first but it melted before daylight and the temperature kept warming up
so that Tuesday was not bad in spite of the rain. We made real good time
from Gooch Mt shelter to Woody Gap. Allan was there from Goose Creek. He
had just dropped off a slackpacker and asked if we were interested in a
ride. After a little discussion, we decided to take him up on the offer.
It was a good decision as we learned the next day that the next shelter,
Woods Hole, was so packed that there were about a dozen tents set up
there.

Wednesday morning early, we got a ride back to Woody Gap and hiked the 10
or 11 miles to Neels Gap. Sunny and Frank were really excited with their
progress and the fact that they were feeling good. Frank had one little
hot spot but he got mole skin on it before it became a problem. I see
good things for them in the next few months. It is such a pleasure to be
around folks like them, I just know that they will have many thru hiker
friends and tons of adventure memories from their hike. I was real happy
to see Dutch Treat when he got to the Walasi Yi to shuttle me to my
truck. He and Hummingbird a real special folks. But, I have to confess
that I was more than a little sad that my hike was over and I had to part
company with all the wonderful folks, especially Sunrise and Sunset, who
would be hiking on to ME. In my heart and in my mind, I will be with
them. Dutch Treat dropped me off at my truck and I called Diana and told
her I be home late so I'd get something to eat on the way. I stopped at
KYC.    Hopeful

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.