Cellphone connection availability (was) RE: [at-l] another take on cell phones

I am thinking long-term about another long distance hike -- maybe not 'til I
turn 66.  I want to be flexible enough to Yo-Yo or, right after the AT, to
go to the east coast head of the ADT.  But  it might happen sooner.  And
even though I don't have any phones, I am thinking about getting a phone
just for the AT.  Mainly because of some health concerns that may get worse.
It would be handy to call "my doctor" and get him to call a pharmacy and
have a scrip ready for me when I come to the "next" town (especially if all
my meds have drown while crossing a creek and my bump box is two towns
ahead). And of course there is the occassional broken leg from sipping too
much dew -- mountain dew that is.

What I am wondering is how good is the connections along the AT?  I'd really
be interested in any knowledgeable opinions, but especially the opinions of
recent thru-hikers.  I don't want to carry a phone at all, and I won't if
CPs only work part of the time.

William, The Silent Turtle