[at-l] Knives...was another out of the shadows

> >A fixed blade knife is a good choice if you have the need of such a
> >tool for cutting and skinning game.
>
> cutting ounces to save pounds.  It wasn't that the weight of the
> knife was soooo bad. It only weighed maybe 3 oz, but a
> fixed blade needs a sheath and they are heavier X 2 than the knife.
>
> I saw a folder, actually a Gerber, slap shut on a guys knuckles
> once.

I've had many folders fail.  Not just cheapies either.  Gerbers, Bucks, and
Benchmade have all failed on me.  I have NOT had Spidercos or Cold Steel
folders fail, and I carry a Spiderco clipped to my left pocket and a Cold
Steel clipped to my right pocket every day.  When I go hiking, however, I
leave them at home.

Where knives are concerned, I live in two worlds.  The
utility/cooking/hiking world and the tactical knife fighting world.  (I've
been an instructor for 8 years.)  From that vantage point, I can safely say
that you DON'T need a 'combat' knife in the woods.  You certainly don't want
anything with a guard.  Examples of BAD camp knifes are:

http://www.coldsteel.com/blackbearclass.html
http://www.coldsteel.com/imperialtaipan.html
http://www.coldsteel.com/militaryclass.html

The first one above isn't a very good fighter either...

These are examples of good camp knives:

http://www.coldsteel.com/haihocho.html (Although I don't like the
serrations)
http://www.coldsteel.com/pendletonhunters.html
http://www.coldsteel.com/thespike.html

I really like the spike.  2.5 ounces for a 4" blade is pretty good.

The question was, "Why fixed blade?"  The answers are numerous.  A fixed
blade is safer because it cannot collapse.  I have cut myself, and have seen
others cut themselves while opening, closing, and otherwise manipulating a
folding blade.  I have never cut myself, nor seen anyone else cut themselves
while sheathing or unsheathing a fixed blade knife.

My bottom line in the folding vs. fixed debate, however, is keeping the
knife clean.  A folder invariably collects dirt, food particles, etc. in its
mechanism, whereas a fixed blade does not have this problem.

Weary said (about folders) "It's easier to carry and less likely to get in
your way. I try to avoid as much as possible having things hanging off my
belt. The downside? A folding knife is less macho, if that matters to you."

Personally I don't think folders are any easier to carry or less likely to
get in my way.  You don't have to hang anything off your belt if you don't
want to, as the knife can be kept in your pack, or the sheath attached to
your pack straps where it's handy.  As for folders being less macho, check
this out:

http://www.coldsteel.com/voyager2000.html

They're very light too.

So, what do I carry?  It varies.  I like the Leatherman Wave tool, but some
find it too heavy.  The Wave, however, provides options and I like options.

I also carry this:
http://www.coldsteel.com/birdandtrout.html
At .8 oz, it's very handy.

For the last many years I have carried a large, heavy knife called a SpecWar
14.  It's 14 inches long, heavy, and 99% of people here will think it's
stupid to carry.  I will readily admit that such a knife is unnecessary on
the AT, but it has been very useful to me, and has saved my life at least
three times in situations totally unsuitable for a light folder.  (Don't let
your imagination run wild.  I didn't fend off bears or wild Indians.)

In the end, whatever knife you carry, you should keep it as sharp as you
can - for reasons that should be obvious.

Shane