Favorite knives (was) RE: [at-l] another out of the shadows

For years I carried and used a "fillet" knife.  Or at least is was a wide as
a fillet blade.  It started out as a wide blade butcher knife.  I'm not sure
where it is now, but it was always in my life when I was little.  I think
Mom and Dad got it when they got married (circa 1930 something).  It was
plain ol' carbon steel, but it could do anything from kitchen work (at home)
to cutting off evergreen branches for Christmas decoration.

And I had a good double-bladed "pig sticker".  Bought several at a real
cheap price at a knife show from a dealer who specialized in "working"
knives. I understand it was used for killing pigs in slaughter houses.  It
worked beautiful in my job: Sold most of them at work because everyone at
work wanted one.  And it made a great throwing knife.  I even used it for
"kitchen" chores at work.  And for rambling around in the woods when you're
not camping or hiking, it made a great "cathole" digger, p'nut butter
spreader, fish scaler...  Heck, it was a great "Swiss Army Knife" even if it
only had a blade.

Personally while I love "fancy" or "special" knives, I think some of the
best knives for outdoor or indoor use are "work" knives.  Of course, except
at gun/knife shows, usually most people don't see them for sale.  Either you
have to go to a supply catalog or have someone order one for you.  But, they
are worth the trials and tribulations.

The only "special" knife I plan on buying is one to replace a small EMT
knife.  It rips through webbing, etc.  Has a clip on the side.  Good for a
lot of things, but one of my boogeyman fears is that I'll fall into a raging
river and can't get out of a pack or my shoes. The EMT will get me out.

William, The "Help I'm Bleeding" Turtle

PS  I use to carry knives stuck in my belt in the small of my back.  My
bosses would remind me periodically that it was against company safety rules
to carry them that way.  So I would shift my "chain" knife to my pocket.
Within one shift, I would have cut my fingers as I pulled the knife out of
my pocket.  When I carried the "un-safe" way, I NEVER CUT MYSELF!  Beware of
experts -- including me.