[at-l] newbie in need - anal retentive planning

Jim Stewart wrote:

> I do plan my hikes out, and maybe I am a little more anal about it than
> some.  Like many of the others who responded to your post, as a section
> hiker, I have a fixed distance I would like to hike and in a finite amount
> of time.

I too am a section hiker, and plan extensively for the same reasons Jim lays
out.  When one has only so much time off and a certain number of miles to hike,
it is really important to "have a plan".  Granted, plans never work out exactly
the way a you might want, but they still get you going in the right direction.

The first year I hiked the AT, I planned all summer for my fall hike.  My stuff
was strewn about my office floor for months and I drove everyone crazy as all I
talked about was my hike in all my ambitious anticipation.  I planned for eleven
days for Monson to Katahdin with no resupply.  I left with a 40lb. pack and
arrived at Daicy Pond on the 8th day, climbed Katahdin on the 9th, and hung out
for a couple days in the pretty much empty shelters until my ride came and got
me.  I had 1/2 ounce of white gas, some powdered milk, a freeze dried dinner,
and three sheets of TP left.  I figured that to be pretty good planning.

The next year involved town stays and maildrops, so I again took considerable
time to prepare, but not for equipment as much as logistics.  I had a great time
but a tough hike and left the AT southbound at Trident Col campsite trail, not
finishing in Gorham which is where I planned to stop.

This year I pretty much threw everything together, sent out a couple maildrops,
and stuck to my somewhat conservative hiking schedule.  I had a great trip,
didn't spend a lot of time planning.  I did have the benefit of having planned
two prior hikes, and the fact that I didn't have to plan shuttles to coincide
with flight schedules as I drove my car to Gorham.  I started out my hike by
returning via the AT to Trident Col, then down a side trail to make for a really
great day hike.  The rest of the trip went just as well, and now I'm all geeked
up to hike Vermont, although I'd love to return to hike New Hampshire again --
in spite of the crowds.

I am tempted  -- someday, when I have more time to hike -- to just pack up and
leave with no real planning.  I can see where it would be very liberating as
this is how I "plan" most of my 2-3 day trips.

Point is, I think for folks who lack experience, planning is a good thing.  And
experience can mean a lot of different things, for although the first time I
stepped foot on the AT I had over 30 years of backpacking experience, I had no
long distance hiking experience, and so relied heavily upon the advice of you
fine folks, lots of reading and planning.  It worked for me.

RonW