[at-l] Confessions of a cotton lover

The cotton-kills adage is overplayed, for the most part.  I had
my sister tell me my cotton bandana was dangerous to wear during
my recent winter trip to Nepal.  Wearing blue jeans during
cold and damp conditions is not the swiftest of ideas, but for
summer hiking in the southern part of the country, wearing cotton
isn't a big deal.  Heavy cotton takes a while to dry and doesn't
do much insulating while it is wet.
For winter hiking, or hiking where temperature
swings and wind is a concern (i.e, the Whites anytime), try wool.
Schoeller makes a fabric called Skifans which is a wool-something
blend.  Very expensive.  A company called Ibex uses their stuff.
Silk insulates fairly well, but I am unsure of its abilities
when wet.  You might try silk long johns to get the man-made
stuff away from your skin, then have a standard man-made
layer above that.

Chris

Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu