[at-l] Re: 'Nother 'Newbie

This is one of those subjects that has been discussed in
length with no consensus reached >>>>Big surprise < /sarcasm>.

Well that's not really true.  We mostly agreed that tourons who
huff their way up the last quarter mile from a parking lot to a
peek and then whip out their CP to announce to their buds that
they have conquered a mountain pretty much sucks in the
eyes of the hikers who are trying to enjoy their moment of reward
for actually hiking it.

Beyond that, we differ <grin>.
Some feel that the presence of a cell phone in the wilderness is
an abomination in any situation.
Some feel that if your home situation is such that the ability to
check in alleviates the worry on both the Trail and the home front and
therefore frees the mind to be open to the Trail experience warrants
CP use.
Some feel that it's impossible to be open to the Trail experience
if you are checking home frequently.
Some feel that keeping a CP in your pack in case of emergencies
warrants use.
Some feel that they should be banned entirely.
Some feel that using a CP to call for a shuttle or a pizza delivery is
A OK.
Some feel that using a CP to call their broker three times a day is
A OK.
Some people hugely resent even the sight of a cell phone because
they are tied to one by their boss in the real world and hike to get
away from all that.
Some feel that calling their sweetie and talking love talk everynite
is a great way to sleep tight.
The majority seems to agree that for courtesy sake, in consideration
for their fellow hikers who cringe at the sight of one, they should be
used in private.

To your situation...I think I remember you saying this will be your first
trip.  I always get nervous when people take on a mission other than
hiking during their first trip.  It could be an incentive....an extra
kick in the butt to finish or it could be just another hassle added
to the hassles of getting used to hiking long distance.
If the people who want the updates are willing to suport you financially,
and you need the support, well......
But if it's not necesary, why complicate things?  Unless you want to <g>
As to keeping in contact with the home front, if not contacting home
will cause you enough worry that it impinges on your day, for pete's
sake, call home and clear your mind so the Trail can take it over.
If the folks at home are worried to the point that they feel the need to
talk to you daily, consider what will happen if the phone breaks or
for some other reason, you can't get a signal out for a day or two.
Bottom line, except for Baxter Park, they are legal so it's a matter
of personal choice....
Finally, does pocketmail work with a Cphone??   How kewl is that!
Running and ducking