[at-l] Pennsylvania Midstate Trail Info

I end-to-ended the (pre-extension) MST in 1999 (Alexandria Road to the
West Rim Trail).  It was my longest hike and I treasure the experience.
I used the KTA guidebook and maps, which are fine (Jim gave you the
pointers).

Back in '99 I promised Kahley I'd type up my journal... I'll try to get
around to it and post it here.  I was just looking at it, and I think
that my favorite section was south of there... up on the ridge line.

Jim... were you thinking of the high rocky ridge line south of 322?

Here are a couple of things that showed up in my journal:

(1) There's a nice vista right above 322.

(2) "Boiling Spring" is really neat... not beautiful, but really neat!

(3) Poe Valley State park is in this section.  One person there asked if
I carried a gun, and another gave me some watermelon!  The campsites
there are wickedly uncomfortable... gravel tent platforms.

(4) Poe Paddy State park is on the way too.  In '99 the phone was out.

(5) My journal says "the hiking was pretty and varied".  There are some
Rhododendron glens that reminded me of the Great Smokey Mountains
National Park.

(6) This section has the only part of the trail where you actually get
to go UNDER a mountain.

(7) I was starting to get sick of my GORP.

(8) I was getting athlete's foot.

(9) There was a lot of Gypsy moth activity... pretty gross, actually,
since they were climbing up the trees and dying... right where I put my
hand to steady myself.  Yecch.  Someone told me that the state had
sprayed with a fungus that killed the caterpillars before they became
adults.

(10) I saw my first Rattlesnake of the trip.

(11) At R.B. Winter I was rescued by an extremely nice woman who worked
at the office.  She made a trip back to the park after dinner and
brought me a bottle of athlete's foot powder... saved the trip!

(12) Some nice people fed me grapes and a donut.

(13) My feet started to fall apart (heel blisters).

The MST is a really nice trail.  If you have questions about any other
segments feel free to send me a note.

Have fun!

-- Jim