[at-l] GORP

GORP = Good ol' raisins and peanuts...

I like the original and I like the variations but do not mix ingredients in
advance.

If you add salted peanuts to raisins and let them sit for a week or two, you
end up with disgusting UNSALTED peanuts - blech!

If you want to send some to yourself in a maildrop, package ingredients
separately and combine when you're going to eat them.  They'll certainly
keep well for a few days to a week.

FWIW, a lot of gorp gets left in hiker boxes along the way.  Many bags have
rancid peanuts (don't store your peanuts (or anything else with oil to be
mailed where it's at all warm).  None have M&Ms in them.  The M&Ms get
picked out...  or at least don't last too long once the gop is left in the
box.  ;-)

I actually decided that I preferred to eat food that was easier to eat than
gorp.  Dipping grimy hands into gorp bags and tilting my head back to pour a
bunch into my mouth got old fast.  Candy/protein bars and Stretch Island
fruit leathers were ideal.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99