[at-l] Long Trail

The southern AT part of the trail is relatively easy.
Nice warm up for past the Maine Junction.  Once past
the Maine Junction, the trail becomes more remote, a
bit more wild, the climbs steeper, the mountains more
beautiful. It is almost as if once the LT is out of
the shadow of the AT, it really blossoms.  One of my
favorite mountains I have ever climbed is right on the
LT, Camels Hump.  On a clear day, can see the 'Daks in
NY, Lake Champlain, the southern Greens, north into
Canada , and all the way to the Whites.
The Monroe Skyline is also great.

Take it easy down south, and by the time you hit the
northern sections of the trail, you should be more
than ready for the challenges. Just one step at a
time.

Now, should you bring a cell phone? If you don't want
to bring one, don't. ;-)   I imagine coverage is
spotty at best in northern VT anyway.  As Sloetoe
mentioned, you can always touch base when you go into
town, (in fact the LT passes right by a post office in
Jonesville, you can call there.)  A little personal
side note, they are trying to stick a cell phone on me
at work...I always seem to forget the paper work...or
forget to remind my manager to bring the form in. :D

If you have any questions about this great trail, ask
away. More than a few of us on this list who have
hiked the grandaddy of all long distance trails. (True
story according to VT lore: The LT and the AT both
have white blazes, but way back when, at the Maine
Junction, the AT had BLUE blazes in the Green Mountain
Club territory. After all, the LT came first, and the
AT is the side trail. :D)

Enjoy your hike...warning, you may become addicted!!!

Magaroni.. (or shortened to Mags)
LT 97,99
AT GA-ME '98
PCT MEX-CAN 2002 (YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!)

=====