[at-l] 'Nother Newbie

In a message dated 03/12/02 11:02:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KAB@concordia-ny.edu writes:

> For now, what's the deal with the cell
> phones?

Kurt -

Welcome to the campfire.  We went around on this issue a while back and, as I
recall, I convinced everyone on the list that a cell phone is the first piece
of equipment one must place in one's pack, before shelter, food and water.
Right, guys? <grin>

There are some of us who carry (and use them remotely and sparingly) so as to
keep the home front informed as to our well-being while in the forest.  There
are others who believe they are intrusive on their sense of winderness and
would prefer that those of us who carry them leave them home.  So long as you
are not brokering financial deals, reading test score grades to your TA or
chatting with friends while in camping areas or at shelters, I think cell
phones are fine (others have other thoughts).

As to coverage, I just returned from a GA section hike from Springer to Dicks
Creek Gap (most of the GA section).  On the drive down from Delaware, I noted
at least a dozen new cell towers in the Shenandoah valley and another dozen
new ones in the mountains of GA.  My guess is that one of two things (or
possibly both) has prompted this apparently accelerated tower placement - the
proliferation of cell phones in general and/or the events of 9/11 (peoples
concerns about having a means to remain in contact with family even when in
the great outdoors).  I can find coverage now a number of places that I was
not able to do as recently as last October when I was last in GA.

So if you take a cell phone, you will probably be able to use it if you so
choose.

Hike happy -

Black&blue

p.s. - who's got the smashmellows?