LT-ness... Re: [at-l] 'Nother Newbie

--- Kurt Bodling <KAB@concordia-ny.edu> wrote:
> I looked ahead last summer and decided that this coming July
> would be a time I could finally do an extended backpacking
> trip. ... The Long Trail's 270 miles divided by a month comes
> to about 10 miles a day.  Makes sense to me.
### It is a raucously tough trail; if I recall, similar to some
of those lies called "trail" in the Catskills. But if you take
your time at the (much) easier southern end, and recognize 10
per day to be a *marvey* average, a good time will be had. And
the farther away from May/June, the less skeeters/black flies.

> For now, what's the deal with the cell phones?
### Every time you "touch base," you *lose* touch with the
[mental] space of the trip. And if you touch base within
sight/sound of others, you bring them up short as well.

> ... the college's development officer
> would provide one so they can track my progress on a map...
### Let him take one on *his/her* trip. Seriously -- are they
*funding* this trip for *you*? If so, take the phone and be
grateful. If not, there's a calling card and a phone booth every
few days, when all the other base touchings will be going on as
well.

Sloetoe
LT'01

=====