[at-l] socks needed

I like the Bridgedales as well.  I found them on sale at Sierra Trading
Post for less than $5 a pair.

-----Original Message-----
From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Mara Factor
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 8:07 AM
To: patv@ukans.edu; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] socks needed

Welcome back!

When my Thorlos blew out by the time I got to Damascus, I ended up
replacing
them with Bridgedales.  Two pair of Bridgedale socks (and a pair of
Ultimax
socks that I hated and almost never wore) were all I needed to get from
Damascus to Katahdin - and I'm still wearing those same two pair of
Bridgedales.  They aren't as thick as they used to be but they aren't at
all
threadbare either.

Like Thorlos and Smartwool, they come in a variety of thicknesses and
have
more padding under the ball and around the heel.

You might pay $18 for Bridgedale when seemingly comparable Thorlos would

cost $15.  But since they last two or three times as long, they are
worth
it.

FWIW, I also have allergies to wool and try to minimize my contact.
Depending on the sock style, Bridgedales do have some wool so check out
their web site for percentages.  They do use Merino and new wool so as
always, pick the lesser of the evils.

>From their web site (http://www.bridgedale.com)...  "it takes six
months to
hike the Appalachian Trail.  Our socks have a three year warrantee."

I would suggest looking at the AT Boot Plus or maybe the light hiker.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

P.S.  Check out their glossary definition of their Merino wool...
That's
probably why theirs doesn't bother me when other Merino wool products
do...