[at-l] 'Nother Newbie

I've been lurking for a few days, wondering whether I'd stumbled into
the right list, or not.  But seeing Denise's self-intro and the
semi-obscure Trail politics and so on.

So who am I?  My name's Kurt.  Born and raised in the East.  On
the faculty now at Concordia College in New York.

Been wanting to do a thru-hike since high school (which was back
before some of your were born!) and haven't been able to find the
time between school and family and work.  A couple of life
transitions later, and I've been day hiking the AT here in New York
for a while.  I live about an hour from Bear Mountain and about the
same from the RPH cabin.

I looked ahead last summer and decided that this coming July
would be a time I could finally do an extended backpacking trip.
But obviously not the whole Trail.  So I thought, well, there's always
Vermont.  The Long Trail's 270 miles divided by a month comes to
about 10 miles a day.  Makes sense to me.  And now it's turned
into a fundraiser for the college, with faculty and staff pledging so
much per mile, or lump sums, or whatever.  (And probably some
betting I'll be eaten by a moose before I finish.)  Brings both
external motivation and a couple of un-wanted burdens.  (Like, the
first question most people ask is "You ARE bringing a cell phone,
aren't you?")

So here I am.  Will be asking for a couple gear suggestions and so
on in the next month or so.  For now, what's the deal with the cell
phones?  I've never used one; the college's development officer
would provide one so they can track my progress on a map on their
wall; would there be any reception in the Green Mountains anyway;
should I just refuse it, or "accidentally" lose it?

Take care,

Kurt A.T. [really!] Bodling