[at-l] Laws of Backpacking: Rules of the Obvious

In a message dated 3/11/2002 3:42:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> LAWS OF COOKING
>
> 1.  Only you can prevent forest fires.
> 2.  Don't cook next to your tent.  You will attract unwanted wildlife.

1) Check on the forest fires...

2) After hundreds of "experiments" cooking right outside my tent and pulling
my pot inside to eat I've never had a visit.  Some of these were in the "bear
alleys" of Yosemite NP.  Of course, I wouldn't advise such experiments for
amateurs.

> LAWS OF COOKING GEAR
>
> 1.  Test cooking methods BEFORE you get on the trail.
> 2.

1) Always good advice.  I've seen several that started a thru-hike and didn't
even know how to prime their Whisperlite.  No wonder the Whisperlites have a
bad rep!

2) What was the question?

> LAWS OF FOOD
>
> 1.  When practical, carry two days more than you need in case of emergency.
> 2.  Don't feed the animals.
> 3.  Hang you food out of reach of animals every night.

1) Many times I've carried two extra days of food, although not
intentionally.  My finest days are when I got into town on vapors!

2) No, I don't carry enough food to feed the animals, but I do like to watch
ants carry away the crumbs.

3) What?  I'm under the impression that they won't be able to reach my food
if I'm in the way.  Unless there's food storage devices on trail, I always
keep my food with me, in my tent or next to me, but my methods may change in
griz country.   What were you thinking?

> LAWS OF ZIPPERS
>
> 1.  A clean zipper is a happy zipper.
> 2.  If you have to force a zipper, something is wrong.

1) Zipitty do dah, zipitty aye, my ole my, what a wonderful day!

2) I'll leave this wisdom to the zipper expert!   Repeat #1

> LAWS OF THE PACK
>
> 1.  Your pack, shelter, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag should not exceed 11
> pounds by themselves, when possible.
> 2.  Any pack must be suspended at night, not resting on the ground or
> against a tree within the reach of any animal.

1) I agree.

2) My pack stays with me at all times!

> LAWS OF WATER
>
> 1.  If you are unsure of your next water source, carry as much as you
> reasonably can.
> 2.  Always filter or treat water in the back country.

1) I agree.

2) I consider it sacrilegious to filter mountain springs!

Bizztbingbong!!!  Final answer, I agree with you 61% percent of the time!

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---