[at-l] Helping a newbie - Update

I met with Bob on Saturday.  This was our first official session on his
thruhike.  I brought him a few things:

An Everest frameless pack that he can practice/train with.

A Packa, as invented by Cedar Tree.  (Opinions in another post.)

A printed copy of the Thruhiking Papers
(http://trailwise.circumtech.com/thruhikingpapers/default) as written by Jim
Owen (Thanks Jim!), and emails from this list (Thanks everybody!), all
neatly punched and put into a three ring binder.  The Thruhiking Papers are
his first 'required reading' assignment.

A copy of the 2001 Companion so he can start planning logistics. (Provided
by our mutual friend Will.  Thanks Will!)

A copy of Walking the Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxenberg. (Provided by TJ
from this list.  Thanks TJ!)  I read it myself, and I thought it was
excellent.

A copy of A Walk in the Woods by Bryson, for his wife.  I read this too, and
thought it was an excellent example of how NOT to successfully hike the
trail, even if they did manage a significant portion of it.  Excellent proof
that two boobs with backpacks can actually successfully experience the out
doors.  If you think the two preceding sentences are contradictory, read the
book.

We discussed many things, but mostly an overview of our responsibilities to
one another in this process.  We discussed (briefly) sleeping bags,
tent/tarp/bivy options, wilderness survival schools, hiking clubs, and the
difference between training, practice, and actually backpacking.

Bob discovered the Appalachian Trail Institute and has signed up for the
April course.  The price was reasonable, but I don't know what the course is
like.  We discussed another school in Wyoming, but decided that course would
not be applicable to the AT.

The difference between training, practice, and actually backpacking is that
training and practice should happen close to home.  The middle of nowhere
isn't a good time to figure out that your tent, or some other piece of
critical gear, is worthless junk.

I'm also working on developing a section of my website to organize my
thoughts and help him find resources on the net.  The address is
www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking, but the site is very blank right now.

Opinions on the above are welcome.  More updates to follow.

Shane