[at-l] Newfound Gap unpassable 3/9

I attempted to climb from Newfound Gap to Icewater Spring shelter
Saturday. I -along with about 13 other folks- found it impossible
without crampons. There was no snow on the ground but somehow a frozen
creek had formed in the trail with ice as smooth as glass. Climbing up
an incline of slippery ice with a 40# pack gets aggravating pretty fast.
After we negotiated 2 30 foot stretches and congratulated ourselves for
traversing them, we were greeted with a 100 yard stretch at the next
turn. Wisely, we did not attempt it. If you are thru-hiking in March,
bring those crampons!

la manzana in NC