[at-l] Getting lost on the trail

Generally, you're right.  If you see no path, you've probably lost the trail.

BTW - most times I've heard of people missing the trail in an open space,
it's because they don't follow the rule of walking around the edge of the
clearing til you find the trail (i.e., they walk straight across).  There's
one place in GA (I think it was coming off Powell Mtn.) where the trail turns
sharply to the right at a clearing when it appears that it goes straight
across (albeit the only blaze at that point is over your shoulder).

That's the only place this week that I had to actually stop and look for a
second.

Black&blue