[at-l] Blazing thru puddles and quietly cutting trees

Ok, I've been fighting the urge to respond to these threads,but I am
finally giving in--now that it's too late to fully participate in the
debate.

Puddles:  Probe first, then go through them if they aren't boot
topping.  If you must go around, look for stone/sticks to put your
feet on.  We would love to route the trail so puddles don't have the
opportunity to form.  Alas, we live in the real world of narrow
corridors, compacted soils, and maintainers who can only donate their
time to the trail.

Blazes:  Nowhere in Mass are there trees that have been blazed by
painting rings  around them, or 1 ft long blazes.  There are places
where the blazes are faded and need work (volunteering, anyone?), and
there are a few spots where we are over-blazed.

If no one is there while a chain saw fells a tree, is it making a
sound?  I suspect--though I don't know--that the volunteers involved
in clearing the tree mentioned earlier this week with non-powered
tools, might have enjoyed the experience.  Part of the fun of trail
work is using "primitive" tools far from our civilized
infrastructure.  If we WERE paying folks a living hourly wage to
maintain trail, you can bet we'd find the fastest way to get the job
done.  Slow boats can be more fun.

Remember, my fellow hikers, we are volunteers.  We do this for fun.
We ARE committed to a hikeable trail with as much backcountry feel as
possible--given the constraints of property lines, volunteer skills,
and budgets.  Yes, we could provide a raised footbed through the
entire Housatonic Valley, give enough time and money, but it would be
a lot like hiking on a sidewalk...

Here's what we give to our maintainers:
http://friends.backcountry.net/MassAT/Agendas&Minutes/MaintGuide.pdf

The snow and ice are almost gone from the ridge tops here, and the
mud situation seems to be minimal.  I think I may take a couple of
days during Spring Break to  get out before the blackflies.

Cosmo

Cosmo Catalano
AMC Berkshire Chapter
Massachusetts Appalachian Trail Committee