[at-l] OT - but, real cool!

In 1982, I was working at our Beaumont, Texas plant.  We were loading a ship
with methanol (one of the products we made at the site) one saturday night
when a tugboat came up the Neches River.  The channel runs wide of our dock
at that point.  The skipper of the tug (I think his name was Hazelwood <g>)
was tanked up/loaded/asleep from partying down in Port Arthur or somewhere
south on the river and he steered right through our dock and ran the tug to
within about 10 feet of the methanol load lines.

Picture all the Bruce and Ahnold pyrotechnics ever used and that is what
would have likely happened if this tug had cut the load line.  The crash woke
this guy up and he backed out and ran up river (a hit and run on the river).
We sent a couple of the tugs parked at our dock after him and called the
coast guard who bagged him 5 miles up river.

The process hazards review for that was an interesting exercise to decide how
to defend our dock.  We settled on huge concrete pilings in the river (sort
of like the White House and Union Station in DC have).

Black&blue

In a message dated 03/04/02 12:17:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tjfort@netdoor.com writes:

> Here's a series of photos of a tugboat colliding with a bridge.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---