[at-l] Mission of the AT

"...>Let's make it simple - the AT is supposed to be a "blazed" trail from
>Georgia to Maine for the use and enjoyment of the American public -  meaning
>"people".  Any people, any experience level, anyplace on the  Trail, anytime.
>If anyone has a problem with that "definition" then let's  hear it," argues
>Jim.

I suspect the Appalachian Trail Conference may have a problem with that
definition.

The ATC mission statement adopted 23 years ago declares:

"The Appalachian Trail in its entirety shall be kept forever open, obvious, and
narrowly passable for hiking. The treadway shall pass lightly over the land to
provide for the least disturbance to the natural setting. The trail shall be
marked and cleared to offer passage that may be both enjoyable for the
REASONABLY PREPARED and in harmony with the natural environment." (emphasis
added)

In furtherance of this goal the ATC has published a handbook for maintainers
that specifically urges the use of blazing be limited in ways I have mentioned
in several previous posts. No where in the manual does it suggest that the trail
has to be made easily accessible to the dumbest, or the most heedless and
ignorant hiker who ventures thereon.

 Rather the manual warns that attempting to do
so would destroy the very mission of the trail.

Those opposed to the ATC position certainly have ways to mount a protest. This
is a democratic organization. Any member can propose a resolution to the
biennial meetings. I think you have to submit such proposed changes in policy a
day or so ahead of time, but the process is simple.

The next meeting will be in the summer of 2003 ( July 25-Aug. 1) at Waterville
Valley, NH, hosted by the trail club that thru hikers comment most frequently
about -- the AMC.

BTW AMC is actively seeking volunteers to help with the
massive arrangements that such meetings entail. Just e-mail Steve Crowe at
sunshine@splusnet.com