[at-l] Ch ch ch changes....was Impact of Hiking?

I guess the reason I don't think in terms of a thru (never really have) and
rather expect I will continue to section hike indefinitely is that, to me,
it's a vacation or like summer camp used to be (it's a limited escape from
the routine schedule).  I like my job, my civic and environmental
organization activities, taking my family on "normal" vacations, teaching my
daughter to play softball, etc.

I also, for a couple of weeks a year, like not having to shave, smelling like
a goat, tempting fate by risking hypothermia and broken limbs and eating
granola bars (my wife and daughter won't tolerate me doing that at home so I
have to go off to the woods).  I would hate for the thing that I love to do
as my special vacation to become the routine, as it would have to for a six
month exercise.  I think that might take the joy out of it for me.

I've read many posts talking about the satisfaction of doing a thru (heard
lots of that talk in GA this week from this year's class - they are a pumped
up bunch).  When I finish all the miles in little pieces around 2010 - 2012,
I'll be satisfied with myself just fine.  Anybody who can say they've walked
2,100 miles (or more) of trails should be proud of that as less than a tenth
of a percent of the people on the planet would ever consider walking the
first mile.

Black&blue

In a message dated 03/02/02 6:33:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> At 09:02 AM 3/2/02 -0500, kahley wrote:
> >In a way, I am afraid of the impact a thru would have on my life.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---