Re[2]: [at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

On 9 Mar 2002 at 0:21, Weary wrote:

> Admittedly, in the old days things were simpler. Those who couldn't learn died
> in the wilderness, though apparently the deaths failed to improve the gene pool.
> Hmmm. A new thought. Maybe Darwin was wrong, and the "creationists" are right.
> Given the large number of "dumbest, no-load, wet-behind-the-ears city boys,"
> survival of the fittest may not have triggered human evolution.(g)

It's an age-old dilemma and there aint no right or wrong, is there?
Until someone dies, that is...

Who exactly is the trail for, anyway?  There are lots of skill levels,
and the AT in particular is a trail designed from the outset to
appeal to those most "in need" and least likely to have the sort
of survival skills that Weary and Sly take for granted.  Indeed,
the trail is where some come to *learn* those skills, but you'd hope
that the lesson itself isn't fatal.

I enjoy the wilderness aspect of the trail, but safety needs to be
considered.  We no longer expect people to ford the Kennebec,
for example -- partly because a thru hiker died doing that.

rafe b.
aka terrapin