Re[3]: [at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

Bob Cummings wrote:
>Those who want a risk free walk should consider small town sidewalks and
>suburban malls.

Bob -
The "small town sidewalks and suburban malls" are more dangerous by far than
any trail outside of Afghanistan.  Thought you knew that.

>Obviously with enough effort we could make the AT virtually risk free.

Really?  One of the many parts of my job is, and has been for a lot of
years, risk analysis and mitigation.  The phrase "virtually risk free" - is
a virtual oxymoron.  Making something risk free simply means shifting the
risk to another area - it doesn't eliminate it.  We have an entire society
that's a living laboratory that proves that every day.  Details on request.

>All it would take are more signs. More rules about where and when we hike.
>Emergency shelters and phones every few miles and on every summit. Railings
>on all the bog bridges. Guards on scenic overlooks where kids might fall.
>Bridges over all the streams and deep puddles. Graded footpaths. Ranger
>quarters every few miles.....

Hmmm - "All it would take"???  All of those things and more have been tried
in other places.  None of them have made any material difference in safety -
or risk.  I'm not sure where you got that idea, but it's defective.

>  Not only would such a trail be safe,

Bullhockey

>it would also stop these annoying posts about the importance of preserving
>wildness -- since their wouldn't be any to preserve.

Preserving wildness is one thing - what you were talking about is something
else entirely.  I'll expand on this if you insist.

I seriously suspect that, both personally and professionally, I know more
about "risk" than you've ever dreamed of.  Next time you get a burr under
your saddle, you really might want to avoid wandering into places that
classify as "my" playground.  "Risk" is one of those places.

Walk softly,
Jim