Re[3]: [at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

"...caring for hikers as people rather than annoying intruders in the
"wilderness"." urges Jim &/....

 Those who want a risk free walk should consider small town sidewalks and
 suburban malls.

 Obviously with enough effort we could make the AT virtually risk free. All it
 would take are more signs. More rules about where and when we hike. Emergency
 shelters and phones every few miles and on every summit. Railings on all the
 bog bridges. Guards on scenic overlooks where kids might fall. Bridges over all
 the streams and deep puddles. Graded footpaths. Ranger quarters every few
 miles.....

 Not only would such a trail be safe, it would also stop these annoying posts
 about the importance of preserving wildness -- since their wouldn't be any to
 preserve.

 Weary