[at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

It isn't your ignorance, but the ignorance of folks who go out without
our experience that get lost. Good blazing is a good investment to help
avoid search and rescue time-wasters. Folks who get off the track are
in more hazard of injury and needing to be discovered.

But I will hold my hand up for getting lost on the trail, in sight of
good blazes. On the section north of Max Patch you come to an
intersection of old logging roads. The trail crosses this intersection
and the guidebook advises you to bear right and go up the hill on the
steps. I didn't see the steps hiding behind the tree with the blaze
painted nicely for the steps (if I had seen them). I beared right,
heading down the logging road, over several tank traps and other
barriers, probably 1/4 mile before I decided this was getting old.

Was that serious? Not really, but I appreciate that it is a problem for
maintainer and hiker alike.

Bill...
<BTW, been up to Newfound Gap lately? I've seen lots of people there
who shouldn't have even gotten into a car!>