[at-l] Cost to remove a blowdown

In a message dated 3/7/02 12:47:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, daveh@psknet.com
writes:

> Well put me down as one maintainer who is against using weedeaters,
> chainsaws, or any thing other than muscle powered tools to maintain trail in
> the Wilderness -- except in a true emergency.  We worked too hard and long
> to get those areas designated as Wilderness to now start to chip away at
> that protection, for our convenience.

    ***  Yes, I understand that, but I feel we are dancing on the end of
string of vengeance rather than operating under common sense. I understand
that our system works by bargaining for rights and gains, but handicapping
volunteers who maintain simple trails that bring hikers into wild places
because a chainsaw might be seen as hypocrisy is foolish. A volunteer's
chainsaw is meant to re-clear a path for hiking. A corporate chainsaw is
meant to clear woods for profit. I myself think we should stand up for our
right to operate freely and sensibly -free of having to answer to
disingenuous deal-making cynics. Perhaps they would respect us more if we
stood up for sense.
       If I could be shown that a week's worth of chainsaw intrusion actually
did impact the natural setting and wildlife I would volunteer to withdraw the
request. I myself don't think that one week's, or project's, worth of
mechanized trail upkeep would constitute a hypocritical compromise of our
claims. People who destroy ecosystems can't dare to suggest they stand in
judgment of committed volunteers out to maintain a wilderness track...
     Elsewhere, whether the snowmobiles are limited to only regular summer
roads, Yellowstone's winter is the only season when bison and other wildlife
can expect no technological intrusion. I'm sure the prey species are stressed
enough trying to avoid freezing and wolf predation without having to deal
with buzz-bombing skidoos. Winter was a natural enhancement to the wilderness
condition in there and should be kept so...

  We cannot use a horse, or mule, drawn wheeled cart, or a wheeled
> skidder along the same route for the same purpose -- notwithstanding that
> the wheeled device creates far less damage to the land.  Some how I feel
> that the wheel was invented long enough ago to qualify.

    *** Federal logic. The rules should pertain to the area inside the
particular wilderness and its upkeep needs. It shouldn't equate ATV wheels
with primitive bridge stringer cart wheels...

> BTW2 -- There are some folk who would have that we must remove all manmade
> structures (including bridges) from the Wilderness and stop all blazing in
> the Wilderness.  So, I guess I am to a true purest.

     ***  We could consider not going in there at all. I myself feel we've
compromised so much that we probably need to be in there to help. Maybe some
animal species should be allowed to see man not ransacking and plundering
their surroundings in rare situations like these wilderness' too...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---