[at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

In a message dated 3/7/02 7:29:28 AM Eastern Standard Time, kahley@ptd.net
writes:

> Just a thought.....there was an article someplace and backed up by a couple
> thrus
> who made the notation that blazed trees die first.  It could be something
> in the
> paint or it could be overly anal blazing that scraps bark and allows easy
> egress
> to fungus, bugs and insects which kill the tree.  Just a thought.

    ***   And a good thought too. In fact, one that I used to promote when I
advised my fellow maintainers to paint more neatly over the rough bark in
order not to harm the tree. After observing scraped trees vs unscraped for
many years I decided that as long as you don't scrape through the inner bark
you were OK. I haven't seen any trees that I could determine died directly
from blazing. Coincidentally, I've seen many unblazed trees die next to the
trail that I suspect were affected by treadway disturbance and damage to
their roots. Hard call, for now I don't think a carefully scraped trunk will
be more susceptible to disease or insects...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---