[at-l] Trail Maintenance: Blazing

OK, new-sort-of-related topic: what is the best way to paint blazes.
Not talking about the physical dimensions of the blaze, thats simple
enough.  But what is the best practice for type of paint, type of brush,
preparation of the tree/bark (i.e. is it best to scrape off a little
bark to get to a smooth surface?)... The trail I maintain has generally
been blazed by other crews coming through, but sometimes I need to go
out and do one or two and I usually feel like I've botched it up.
   Suggestions?
thnx.