Re[4]: [at-l] skirting the puddles

"... A well routed trail *needs* no maintenance." claims sloetoe.

 I guess that depends on what one means by well-routed.

 Since trees mature and die and eventually fall over. And since wind and ice
 breaks branches and trunks from time to time, a maintenance-free trail would
 have to avoid all wooded areas.

  Since water runs down hill and flowing water on steep slopes causes erosion,
  one should avoid hills.

  Even absent trees, brush tends to grow and obscure the foot path so we would
  need to find areas of naturally barren earth or rocks. Some of the strip mines
  in PA might qualify, along with the superfund site near Lehigh Valley.

  Some areas in Harriman State Park in New York is so heavily grazed by deer
  that it might qualify if we could get rid of the trees.

  I understand there's a trail on one of the North Carolina barrier Islands that
  may qualify if it sticks to be beach. I haven't walked it to find out.

  Weary