[at-l] New: Making a "record" of your hike

> What kind of notebook or journal does everyone
> carry on the trail?  What
> about pens vs. pencils?  Also, does or has anyone
> carried a book while hiking?

Now I carry a Fischer Millennium II space pen.  Guaranteed
never to run out of ink.  (It was a Christmas gift.)  I used
to carry an 'original' model space pen, and I carried it for
years and years.

Waterproof notebooks have been available to law enforcement
for awhile, and they are available to the general public.
Try http://www.baproducts.com/riterain.htm.

It's great to sit down on a rock and write in the rain.  If
someone comes by you get the strangest looks...

The only books I carry while hiking are plant identification
books when I am in an unfamiliar area.  Normally, I read for
an escape.  If I HAVE escaped to the outdoors, why would I
want to escape from that?

Shane