[at-l] Transporting stoves, travel to Knoxville airport

Hi everyone-

  I'm starting at Springer in three weeks and hope someone out there can
give me advice on two issues:

1) I'm flying Continental into Atlanta and their baggage policy says no
stoves and no fuel bottles.  Does anyone know if it's kosher to mail stoves
and fuel bottles through USPS or UPS?  I have a friend down there whom I
could mail them to.

2) I need to get from Davenport Gap (near Mt. Moma's at the end of the
Smokies in Tennessee) to the Knoxville Airport April 18, and back from the
airport to the Gap April 21 (wedding in Vermont).  Any ideas on how I could
do this?  I've called Knoxville cab companies, but none have even heard of
Davenport Gap and I don't really trust them.  I talked to some folks at "A
Walk in the Woods" tour company, who were nice, but they want $180 round
trip, which is steep for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I've been lurking for a bit and have
picked up quite a bit of useful info so far.

Thanks,
Bryan (trail name TBD)