[at-l] skirting the puddles

rafeb@adelphia.net writes:

> if the
> trail maintainers can't see fit to route the trail so as to
> avoid these mini-lakes

     ***   You will probably find the Trail maintainers to be overworked and
under-assisted volunteers doing backbreaking hard trailwork while hikers are
home on the internet. I had the same attitude as well during my hike. Some of
the things I saw on the Trail made me scoff at the incompetence of the local
maintainers. I later joined the maintaining club soon after and found that
maintaining wasn't as easy as it looked from the hiker side...
     What causes trail puddles is compacting of the trailbed due to traffic
and subsequent draining in of the water table. It is very difficult to cure
and usually takes extensive rehabilitation or relocation. A stepping stone or
two in the worst puddles can carry hikers over without causing
trail-widening. However, when the season dries up hikers tend to swerve
around the stepping stones and water bars and widen the trail anyway...

    If you see a problem area for swamping in the trailbed send a note on to
the local club or write a register entry to the maintainer... (or join a club
and get digging!)  :)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---