[at-l] Hike Postponed -- Maybe Permanently

Some of you knew that I was hiking this year.  In deference to my wife's
concern for her security, I had not broadcasted the fact on the lists -- as
she did not want the world to know that she would be home alone for six to
eight months.

However, I had planned to start March 25.

Back in mid-February I began experiencing some stiffness and then pain in my
right knee.  By the 22nd my knee was beginning to lockup.

One thing let to another, which lead to various test, which in turn led to
me being hospitalized with a blood clot from my groin down my leg to just
above my ankle.

After five days flat of my back with shots in my belly, pills, etc. they
restored the flow from my leg, saved the leg, and probably my life.

I am now home with a potential time bomb in my leg for the next few days, or
weeks, -- for as the clot continues to dissolve it could throw off a
significant segment which could cause serious complications, or even kill
me -- depending on where the clot lodges.  So, for those who are so
inclined, your prayers for a continues gradual dissolving would be greatly
appreciated.

Assuming I get through the next few days or weeks, I am instructed to avoid
all activity which could result in a fall, bruise, or cut for the time I
will be on blood thinner.  Now I know there are some nimble footed with
great balance who never fall on the trail.  However, I am not one of them.
I doubt I have ever done 100 miles without an encounter with a slick root,
leaves on acorns (or loose stones), or just plain klutziness.

However, even were I confident that I could avoid injury, I need to maintain
a consistent stable diet and check-in for periodic blood test for something
called INR.  Right now the blood test are twice a week, but I understand
they will most likely become less frequent, as time goes on.  Never the
less, as neither the diet, nor the blood test would be compatible with long
distance hiking, I must postpone my hike even were I able to avoid injury.

 If I can come off the blood thinner (which is not certain at this point)
and if my health holds up otherwise (always questionable in your 60's), in a
year, or two, I will try to reschedule my hike.

For the rest of you, sorry I will miss you.  Good hiking.

Chainsaw