[at-l] ALDHA Companion vs The Thru-Hikers Handbook

"...I want to see if it's (Wingfoot's Thru-Hikers Handbook) using the Databook's
information again," says Old Master.

 I suspect it will contain the mileage data, since Wingfoot announced some time
 ago that ATC had given him permission to do so.

 I like the format of the Companion, But Wingfoot still produces the most
 comprehensive hikers handbook. Hikers should understand that it is impossible
 for any guide to be totally accurate. There is just too much data. Both books
 would be better if hikers would point out errors they see along the way.

 Some errors get repeated in both books edition after edition. Having walked
 nearly a mile down a steep hill to get to the Sarver Cabin, I know both the
 Companion and Wingfoot's book has the mileage wrong. The sign says 0.8 miles if
 I remember rightly. (it seemed twice that) Both guides put the mileage at 0.3
 miles.

 The Companion last year thought the "remnants of the cabin" are "still
 standing." The cabin was flat on the ground in 1993 and I suspect it still is
 -- unlike the ghosts that allegedly show up in photographs. The new edition
 largely ignores the buildings and the ghosts, but reports on a new shelter.

 Wingfoot last year reported the ghost is named "George" and was ambiguous about
 the buildings, reporting only that "the remains of several old homestead
 building" with no word on whether they are standing or collapsed. I'm awaiting
 the 2002 edition.

 Both say the site is worth visiting, but ignore one of the primary reasons why.
 The giant bubbling spring at the site is one of the best on the entire trail.

Weary