[at-l] Alternate "thru-hike" methods

My favorite "alternate" thru-hike method was that of "Long Haul".  Have
any of you also met him?  I met him just north of Muskrat Creek shelter
in 1998 and twice more in the next few days.

He's the guy that had two vehicles which he leap-frogged ahead of each
other.  He then slackpacked back to the last vehicle and drove it ahead
of the other at night.  He had done something like 8,000 miles around
the U.S. at that time and called it his "periphery hike".  The AT was
his eastern periphery.  He had some interesting personal rules for his
hiking.  He only hiked what he called clockwise.  Thus, he was going
from Springer to Katahdin by only hiking south, and only driving north.
He said that this kept him from "cheating" and driving to the top of a
mountain and hiking down both sides of it.  Talk about HYOH!