[at-l] Convertible Pants

Tom Mantooth wrote:
>I have a question for the list.  I am interested in using convertible
>pants for my AT hike, there is one problem, they mostly come with a 32
>inch inseam.  This is 3 inches to long for me.
>
>Has anyone had the inseams shorten?  Can it be done with the legs that
>have zippers?  If so where was this done.
>
>My reason for thinking about the convertible pants is it seems they
>would be lighter than using separate shorts and long pants.  I will have to
>do some more research and maybe I can find something that is about the same
>weight.

Tom -
I used Supplex convertible pants for both the CDT and the PCT - and more
than a few miles before, after and in between.  Only problem I had with them
was that they were too long (just like yours) so they rubbed right around my
boot tops, and eventually wore holes in the inside lower part of the legs.
Two possible solutions - first is to sew a reinforcing patch on the inside
of the lower leg.  The second possibility is to hem the legs to the right
length and sew a stop into the zipper (or possibly just use a bit of
Superglue to block the zipper at the bottom).  Any good seamstress should be
able to do this.

Walk softly,
Jim