[at-l] Making a "record" of your hike

	Hi all,

	I have just been given the assignment of a presentation on journal
writing when on a hiking trip. This will be for a mix of day-hikers and
longer-distance hikers. In an effort to make the presentation a bit more
interesting, and with the wise advice of Miz POG, I'm thinking of broadening
the topic to "how to make good hiking memories" by creating a good "record"
of the hike using your journal and your camera. Basically, I want to give
some tips on what types of things to take pictures of (e.g., don't take 20
pictures of the same view; put people in your pictures; take pictures of
shelters and privies and other "non-views" that might be interesting to
others; notice flowers and insects; write down what you're taking pictures
of while you're taking them) and the types of things you can put in a
journal (e.g., get the names and addresses of hikers you meet in order to
keep in touch; learn a bit about the natural features of an area you'll be
hiking in (types of trees, flowers, animals) so you'll be able to record
better what you see; take the time to describe things that are specific to a
particular day of hiking so that it will "stand out," etc.).

	I'm just throwing out a few ideas, and I really just want to give
tips on how people can make the hike more memorable for themselves and more
interesting to share with others. Now, I'd like to hear from y'all--what
advice do y'all have regarding how to make a good "record" of your hiking
trip?

	Thanks!

	Nina