[at-l] April Backpacker---

Since I started seriously thinking about hiking the AT last fall I began
to pick up a copy of Backpacker each month. The gear reviews are fine,
but the hardest thing about gear reviews is that gear can be so "use
specific" and a magazine can only review gear for the most usual cases.
Thruhiking the AT (a long, multi-season hike that is on a well marked
trail) is usually not the usual case - they tend more towards 5 day
excursions or off trail expeditions.

But I guess most of the other stuff is fluff ... or as i tend to think
of it, "hiker porn" -- the most fantastic trips or the niftiest gadgets.

In planning my trip and familiarizing myself with long distance
hiking issues / solutions, I found the web to really just be far far
more useful.