Fwd: [at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

Shane wrote:

>>February 1 starts add enormous complications to a thru hike and
>>there are no easy ways to avoid them. It is not something I would
>>recommend to an inexperienced person.
>
>Me either, but his mind is made up.  Even having snow and ice experience,
>at this phase of my life I personally would wait until March 1, or later.

Shane -
Seems there's a lot of agreement (including me) that a Feb 1 start at
Springer isn't a real good idea.  In fact, if he'd started this year, it
might have worked out nicely cause the weather has been cold, but there's
been little precipitation (i.e. - the snow isn't up to your armpits).  But
somehow those things never seem to fit with our schedule, do they?  We
started the CDT in what I believe was one of the highest snow years in a
long time (20 years?).  In any case, Bob might want to think about the fact
that these things end to balance in the long run - and that next year (2003)
"could" be the year that we get all the snow that we've missed this year
:-))

If memory serves, Bob's problem is that he doesn't want to start with the
March/April crowds in Georgia.  I understand that - I wouldn't do it that
way now either.  Until recently Ginny and I thought our next AT thruhike
would be southbound from Katahdin in order to avoid the crowds, but we
talked about it last week and found a better way to avoid the crowds without
going through the 6000 ft southern mountains at the worst possible time of
year - and still finish at Katahdin.

What we'll do is to leave Harpers Ferry about March 1 headed south, which,
for us would put us at Springer about mid-May.  We'd then return to Harpers
Ferry and head north to Katahdin.

Advantages - we'd be starting at 3000 ft elevations instead of 4000 to 6000
ft. That means the weather wouldn't be as miserable (or cold). And that we'd
reduce the probability of being snowed out of the Smokies.  Bob could well
run into sub-zero temps and deep snow in the Smokies (and/or southern
Appalachians) in Feb and March and be forced off the Trail.

We'd be starting early enough to finish about Labor Day.  And do some more
hiking in other places before the snow flies again. Or have the option to
take a lot longer to finish the AT.  We'd also be starting late enough that
a lot of the hostels and other services would be open by the time we got to
them.

Hiking south would also give us the opportunity to meet a diminished subset
of the Class of ?? (whatever year we go), without having to compete with
them for resources along the way.  As the wave of thruhikers moves north,
attrition will take its toll - and we'll meet only those who survive to
reach wherever we meet them.  Some of them will even finish at Katahdin.

After we've turned around, we'd be hiking either with or ahead of most of
them, but there'd be a LOT fewer of them so it would no longer be "crowded"
on the Trail.  And we'd still finish at Katahdin - with the Class of ??.

And we won't be carrying snowshoes, crampons or skiis.  Or need Sorels.
They're not necessary in Virginia even in Feb/Mar.  By the time we get to
the 6000 ft peaks in NC/TN we'd be past all but the very slightest
probability of massive snowfall.  And past the coldest weather.

One of the things a lot of people ignore is that the ATC encourages what
they call "alternative" hikes.  Meaning doing the Trail a "different" way in
order to miss the main "thruhiker season" in the south and relieve some of
the pressure on the southern facilities.  See
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/itin.html

What I'm talking about here is an "alternative" way to do the Trail.  It's
probably pretty much what we'll do - and if Bob is willing to consider it
(or something like it), we may be able to help him along the way in 03.
Sorry, but the present plan is that we won't be here in 06.  Of course, that
could change.

There are those who think this wouldn't be a thruhike because it's not a
one-way trip from Springer to Katahdin or vice-versa.  Generally those
people haven't done a thruhike before.  I tend to get fairly sarcstic about
that attitude, because it shows an inflexibility that may be somewhat
acceptable on the AT, but could kill them in other places in the world.  But
they ARE free to hold their own opinions.  And if they're headed for an AT
thruhike, there's the hope that they'll learn some flexibility.

Walk softly,
Jim